Saturday, July 10, 2010

Independence Day Together!


We were excited that Ben made it home just in time for the long weekend! We did all the essential 4th of July events. We had a barbecue, went to the parade, and watched the fireworks. The best part was we got it spend it with Ben (even if he came back from the desert sick). We are so grateful for our Independence and those who make it possible.

SATURDAY BBQ
We had some friends from church over for a get together. Rhone made "fireworks" that we hung on the deck and I made a patriotic cake. It was a 5 layer cake. It was pretty tasty and worth the work for a holiday. It was fun to have so many little ones running around and splashing in the water. The food was delicious and the company was great.

The artist showing off his work and dirty hands.

Rhone's finished fireworks and my finished cake.

The inside surprise. It's a flag!

Our usual splash pool got too crowded so we set this little one up too, but then the boys (and a shovel) all got in anyway.

The slip and slide was the highlight of the night- so much entertainment for the kiddos and the adults. Check out this little guy's form- he was good.

Nice try Rhone!

PARADE AND FIREWORKS

The parade was at night. I've never heard of that before, but it was a little cooler and closer to the fireworks show. So I thought it worked out nicely. DE does not allow any personal fireworks, not even a sparkler. So if you want to see fireworks you have to go to the big show. Rhone was getting tired by show time. But he had a great time running around and playing with his friend while we were waiting for it to get dark. He was unsure about all the noise, but still kept an eye on the show as long as he was being snuggled.

Waiting for the parade to start.

Watching the action. Notice the candy in every possible holding spot.



Watching the fireworks safe in Dad's arms.


Isn't this a great shot of Ben's plane. The lighting is perfect.

9 comments:

Dillon & Bree said...

That is the best picture of dad and son. So cute! You are very talented and creative. I love that cake! So many fun things for Rhone to do each holiday. I'm going to start ripping you off...sorry thats what you get for being awesome!

Where do you get all your energy? and can I have some? It looks like you had so much fun. Just what the 4th should be!

Christensen family said...

Looks like you had a blast. I so saw that cake idea on a blog, it turned out great. We were out of town or I would have tried it but I am sure mine wouldn't have worked. You are so on top of it. I still have our 4th of July weekend to post.

Christy said...

So glad Ben made it home for the holiday!

Amanda said...

Um, Okay girl, that cake merits a post for itself! PROMISE!?

Ryan and GeAnna said...

I am so glad that Ben was able to be w/ you for the 4th. It looks like you had a great time. I am amazed at all the fun things you do w/ Rhone. It makes me feel like I slack off a little w/ Caleb.

Jeff and Lea said...

Awesome 4th! That cake is sooo cool. Looked very yummy. Seems like you guys are doing great. On our way to Idaho we stayed a night with Erich and Kara. It was soo great to see them and catch up!

Nicole Beeton said...

You've always got such fun stuff going on! The cake you made was awesome! Man, I wish I had as much energy as you do...

Jake and Liz said...

I feel like I'm a repeat of everyone else's comments but I too am just floored by all that you do, Meagan.
Ben, I'm so glad that you made it home safe to enjoy the fun with your fam. Hope you weren't too sick.
Love ALL the pictures!

Kristanne said...

I love the picture of him painting. I am so glad you got to spend the holidays with Ben. We are glad you are here for a bit though too!