Tuesday, May 11, 2010

First Flights

Kitty Hawk, North Carolina is the famous location of the Wright brothers first successful flight. There is a huge Wright Brothers National Memorial there ran by the National Park Service. The actual points of take off and landing are marked from the first flights. Ben and I also took our first hang gliding flights in North Carolina. We flew on the same sandy dunes that appealed to the Wright Brothers in Jockey Ridge State Park. We both had a great time- actually I had an amazing time. I had to come back a second day for better wind conditions and I had one on one lessons with my instructors and great winds.

Rhone flying with one of the Wright brothers on the replica statue. It was quite a walk to get to the monument. A gust of wind came along and Rhone almost headed down the stairs in his stroller. Thankfully 2 stairs and he stopped- good thing he was strapped in! The markers of the 1st 4 flights all taken the same day. The 4th was definitely the longest. Hiking on the sand dunes in Jockey Ridge. The first trip out I carried Rhone hoping he would stay a sleep. We wised up and put him in the backpack the next 2 trips out to the dunes. Ben getting ready for take-off.

.

Ben's 1st flight and a great landing.
You run down a super steep sand dune to take off. My instructor is on the slope. The person just behind him is on the ground. I was pretty high. Seriously this was so much fun!



Thought you might get a kick outta my landing. It definitely isn't my best, but I did manage to land on my feet a few times.

4 comments:

Kristanne said...

Wow you are getting quite adventurous. I actually think I wouldn't mind hang gliding on a beach, but I wouldn't do it down at the point of the mountain with the freeway below me and the prickly hills, no safe, softer landing!

Dani said...

That looks like such a blast!

Jake and Liz said...

Hey, is Rhone sitting on the monument BEHIND the roped off part!?!?!

The Greenacres said...

super fun!

I'm glad some one is having good adventures.