Wednesday, May 12, 2010

OBX, NC

We took a family vacation to the Outer Banks (OBX) of North Carolina. I have to admit that until we started looking at places to visit I wasn't really sure what they were. They are a series of small islands off the coast of NC. We drove over a crazy long bridge (and under the water) to get there. It was a $12 toll each way- that's steep even for the east coast. We got our condo for a great deal through the Armed Forces Vacation Club. The drive wasn't too bad, we were able to make it each way with just 1 stop. There was so much that we didn't fit in in our week there, so we just might have to go back.

We learned that vacationing with a 1 year old sure is fun, but it sure isn't relaxing. We hadn't been in the condo for an hour before Rhone locked himself into the bedroom with Ben's shoes, wallet and keys. After 30 minutes of trying to get the door open (and "borrowing" a hanger from another condo), Ben finally popped the lock by sliding my old Block Buster card between the door and the door frame. We found Rhone sobbing and covered in deodorant that he got out of the suitcase and had a free-for-all with. He sure does keep us on out toes :)

On a rainy day we took a road trip down the length of the Outer Banks and took the ferry to Ocacroke Island. It was such a quaint little island. We didn't spend much time there, but it was still worth the trip. We couldn't believe how many shipwrecks there were around the area (it is called the graveyard of the Atlantic). So in order to reduce wrecks, there are quite a few lighthouses on the islands.


We could still get a little smile even after being in the carseat for more than 4 hours. Riding the ferry to Ocracoke Island. Wild horses roamed free on Ocracoke Island until 1959. We stopped to see a few of them in their pen. The lighthouse at Ocracoke is NC's oldest. Cape Hatteras light house is the tallest in America. It is 12 stories high. I climbed to the top, while Ben and Rhone played at the bottom (Rhone was too small to go up). The views were beautiful. The stairs in the light house. I couldn't believe how much detail they put into the lighthouse (see the marble checkerboard floors at the landing).

6 comments:

Rachel said...

You guys are doing the funnest stuff!!!! I am so jealous! That story about Rhone made me laugh so hard, but I feel so bad for him, he must have been so scared in there all by himself....You all look great and like you are having so much fun!!!

Christensen family said...

I love the picture with Rhone out the window. It look like you had so much fun looking down at all the pictures. Its so nice to get away as a family.

Kristanne said...

How fun!!!! Love the Rhone story, that will be one to remember as time goes on. I am glad you guys are having such a good time. Tell Ben Happy Birthday and we love him.

Dani said...

That story with Rhone getting locked in the room was quite a memory, I'd say. And of course he manages to get into mischief while he was at it too - so like my boys too. :) Don't worry, every mom has moments like this.

I just looked at your side bar and saw the picture of you and you saying you'll always be an Idaho girl and it struck me with the strangest nostalgic longing feeling - I remember girl's camp and how much fun it was to go camping with you - you're such a fun person to do outdoorsy stuff with. :) Miss it bad. Anyway, thought I'd let you know.

Christy said...

Little ones always add to the adventure (and so does a little deoderant!).

Erich said...

You guys sure know how to vacation, looks like a great trip 9minus the locked out incident which is kinda funny hearing about but i can only imagine horribly stressful to live through).
I've been wondering if you can take a little one kayaking--glad to see you managed to keep Rhone in the boat. Maybe we'll get brave and try it with Jake. That flying seriously looked awesome. I had no idea NC was such a great destination point.