Monday, February 8, 2010

an outing before we were in

Luckily Rhone and I were able to get a way for a little road trip before the blizzard hit the east coast. The morning was a little hectic because I had to shovel the driveway before we could hit the road and we made this chex mix to share with our friends. I was a little nervous about road tripping with just Rhone and I, but everything went well and I now have the confidence to drive in the traffic. So we should be getting out more, even if- who am I kidding when- Ben is away.

Our first stop was to visit some of our friends from pilot training in Mississippi. They are now stationed at McGuire AFB. It was so much fun catching up with Angela and Bailey. They were both great hostesses. We even got to see Dave for a bit. How fun for Rhone to see a someone in a flight suit again. The trip really didn't take too long, so I am already looking forward to many visit with our friends. Thanks so much for having us!

Bailey didn't want to be in pictures, she just wanted to take them. Notice Rhone's necklace? At least it's blue :)

So much fun to be around a boy again!

Our next stop was Princeton, New Jersey. My mom's youngest brother lives there. We had so much fun visiting with Cole. It was great to sit down and have a great conversation with family. Rhone was a little rowdy during dinner, but he loved playing with the great furniture at Cole's house, including this stool that doubled as mixing bowl for Rhone. He has been working on climbing onto our love seat ever since. We love having family close by!

That is genuine hide and horns.

Cole and Rhone

Yes, you remember correctly, I did use the word blizzard. This storm may not have been a monster by western standards, but for our area it was huge. Friday morning we got some errand running in, but by afternoon we were settled in for a LONG weekend at home. Dover got around 25 inches of snow in about 24 hours and it was windy. It took me about a day and half to finally get the driveway clear. Sunday I didn't get much done, because Rhone and I spent more time playing than working. Plus, after Rhone went to bed I opted to keep watching the super bowl instead of finishing up the driveway. There's a chance of snow tomorrow night, so I got it clear in time just for new snow to settle in.

Saturday night after it stopped snowing (I was gearing up to shovel while Rhone was sleeping). Notice the drift up to my chest behind me.

Rhone standing in front of the snow that still needs to be shoveled off the driveway.

I remembered coloring the snow with colored water when I was little. Unfortunately I didn't have spray bottle on hand so we filled up his tub toys with blue and green water and squirted away.


A little snow and gold fish recipe Rhone was whippin' up.


Even though we were stuck at home for the super bowl, we put on our blue and white and indulged in some treats while we watched the game. Rhone fell asleep on me while we were watching. Not the typical super bowl party, but still enjoyable. Too bad our team didn't win.


I never really got a good picture of Rhone's black eye. I needed to do it while he was sleeping, but lets face it, I have higher priorities during that precious time.

7 comments:

Angela said...

I'm so happy you guys are close and that we can visit each other. I need to get brave like you and drive to your place next time. And hopefully soon we can get together with the guys as well.

Unknown said...

Cole said how nice it was to see you guys. I like the idea of the bath toys. You are such a great mom. Love ya:)

Darren and Stephanie said...

I repeat myself.... snow blower for valentines, forget chocolates and flowers! i'm glad you're a tough cookie and that you guys got away for a road trip!

Christy said...

I agree with the snow blower! Enjoy the snow.

Kristanne said...

That is a lot of snow to shovel. I thought maybe the neighbors would help, but I google mapped you and you don't even exist, so maybe no neighbors yet.

You and Rhone need to come visit soon! Glad you enjoyed time with family.

Rachel said...

You are going to have some serious muscles from shoveling all that snow! Rhone is such a cutie! You are doing a great job with him. thanks for all the fun posts, I love checking in on you two :)

The Greenacres said...

Amen!!
I like your coloring snow idea.