Thursday, July 16, 2009

a little get-together

Rhone and I were finally able to meet up with Ben's family for a little visit. Ben's parents, sister, and his brother and his family were able to meet us. It always fun to see family especially since Rhone is at an age where he is changing so much and his cousin Jacob is only a few months older than him.

Our first adventure was a trip to Antelope Island. It's funny that I have lived so close to it, but have never really been there. There was some great scenery that evening, but we were able to see only 1 of the estimated 500-700 bison that are on the island (and no antelope- go figure). I also learned that the salinity of the Great Salt Lake varies between 4-27% compared the the oceans 3%. No wonder nothing lives in that water but brine shrimp.


Grandmommy showing off her muscles holding Jacob and Rhone



Our up close encounter with a buffalo

Grandad and Rhone

Rhone and I at sunset over the Great Salt Lake

We also spent a little time at Hill Air Force Base. I remember a time when I hated going to base- it just felt to weird and I felt so uncomfortable, but now it's funny how a commissary has a familiar feeling. We spent most of our time at the Aerospace museum on base. It was pretty big and I learned some new things about aviation history. Most of the planes were fighters (probably because you can get a lot more of them in a building than cargo and re-fuelers) however there was one tribute to the C-5, it's landing gear. We ate some yummy food and spent some time in the pool, but I forgot my camera, so hopefully Ben's mom got some good pictures of swimming.
Rhone loved riding with Aunt Gabi and I loved not carrying Rhone.

Rhone with the C5 landing gear behind him to the left

Can you believe that Ben flies such an expensive machine? When I told him about this sign he just replied that, "it is a pretty complicated set up". Speaking of Ben tomorrow is his last day of survival school (I know he's happy its almost done)! Saturday he'll be flying back to Mississippi.

3 comments:

Kristanne said...

I am sure he is glad to be done, and you are too, and we're happy for you, but still wish he was stationed at HAFB. Delaware is so FAR away!!! It sure has been fun having you here. Those are so good pictures of antelope island. The visitor center there is pretty neat as well, especially if your a tree hugger ;)

Chance and Beth said...

The cousins are little twinners. So cute!

Angela said...

Yay! Finally! I hope he is doing ok after such traumatic training.
That's cool you spent time with Ben's family. I bet they loved seeing Rhone.