Monday, March 16, 2009

west of the mississippi...... it's nice

We headed out for San Antonio with the truck and car (yep, we are still driving around my amazing buick). We had plenty of time to drive here, so we didn't have to marathon it, which was especially nice for Rhone. I think that he has spent more time in a car seat than most 6 months olds.

We made a detour through Natchez, MS. We stopped at 2 antebellum houses there. The first is Melrose. The house was built in 1849 and still has the slave houses in back. We also stopped at the William Johnson House, he was known as the "Barber of Natchez". William Johnson was born the son of mulatto slave women, but when he was 11 he was emancipated by his owner (who had the same name, what a coincidence). He then learned to be a barber and opened up shop in Natchez. What I found so interesting is that he then hired free blacks and bought slaves to work for him. I had no idea that blacks had also owned slaves- especially those who had once been slaves.

Just outside Melrose- isn't Mississppi green

Melrose- The Cotton Kingdom Estate

A view of the Mississppi

In Louisiana we stopped for some real cajun food, it was pretty delicious. Ben had red beans and rice and I had jambalaya. In Texas, we had to stop off, because a lid was coming off one of the tubs in the truck and this is what we saw:
Who doesn't want to say that they live on Slaughter House Road?

We though Galvaston, TX might be a fun place to spend the second night, so we made the detour to the coast. It was pretty, but it turns out that they are still feeling the affects of Hurricane Ike, so we took some pictures, spent a little time on the beach and stayed closer to Houstin (which by the way has CRAZY traffic).

Ben and Rhone in Galvaston

What used to be the board walk along the beach

We made it to San Antonio safe and sound. Ben and I only lost each other once in traffic, I wasn't able to get over so I was forced to another highway and then we found each other using buildings as a reference- it was actually pretty funny (not as much at the time though). Ben checked in at base and they didn't have any room for us at the hotel so we got to stay downtown at the Marriott for the same price as on base (no complaints here). One night we headed out to see the River Walk- its a fun, but crazy place. Pictures of our house to come soon- that's right we are no longer homeless!

On the River Walk

7 comments:

Kristanne said...

When Shawn and I went to New Orleans, we went out to some houses. One was owned by a black lady and she was known as one of the worst slave drivers around. But you hardly ever hear things like that. Sounds like you guys had a great trip there. Glad you enjoyed it. Can't wait to see the house.

Jeff and Lea said...

Glad you guys made it safe and sound to Texas. Sounds like you had a fun trip. The pictures are great. I love the ones of the old plantation homes. I know what you mean about traveling so much with little ones. I don't think we beat you guys on hours in the car, but when the girls were 3 weeks old we drove to Portland for the job convention. Then of course we moved to Oregon when the girls barely turned 3 months old. Now they hate riding in the car for more than an hour. Going home last Oct sooooo sucked. 14 hours with 1 year old twins was not a great experience. We would love to find another job and move, but man oh man I don't know if we can!

Jaime And Tyrell said...

Looks like a long but fun trip. Glad you made it looks pretty so far. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Mikey & Melissa said...

Hey Meagan, this sounds like quite the adventure. I think you should keep making your way west to Utah so I can hold that cutie Rhone.
He's so adorable.

Hailee said...

Meagan it looks like you guys are doing so good and having a lot of fun experiences. Your little guy it adorable and growing so fast, i can't wait until our little one is here.

Cassi @ Stop And Smell The Roses said...

FUN!!! I'm so jealous you get to live there! We loved living there. In fact, I am coming to San Antonio (actually a little further west) for my cousin's wedding on the 1st. I LOVE the view out your back yard!

Unknown said...

Meagan, how are you??? Its awesome to see that you guys are doing so well, and your little baby is soo cute! Lets keep in touch! kallieb03@yahoo.com