Saturday, August 7, 2010

at home in the mountains

One of the things we miss the most about home are the mountains. Just a few minutes drive and you are treated to the sweet smell of fresh air, views as far as you can imagine, aspen leaves dancing in the sun, cooler temperatures, and the peace of nature. I want to go back just writing about it. We took 3 "big" trips to the mountains. We took a picnic lunch up to a little stream where we ate and played. We took a rather long 4-wheeler ride up to Oxford Peak. And most important we went camping!

Camping

It worked out that we could only spend 1 night camping with Brock. It was still enough to get dirty, stinky, and see some amazing sights. Rhone was instantly entertained by pretending to hammer in the tent stakes with rocks, watching for wildlife and throwing sticks and pine cones into the fire.

Roasting our hot dog over the fireA little stroll with Brock


Sitting by the fire with Papa Gotta love a dirty face Idaho sunset Getting ready for bed. I love the boots, PJ's, and "Ace" what a fun mix.

The long trek to Oxford

We didn't actually make it clear to the peak. We had been on the trail a while and it was getting a little too techincal to have Rhone along. So we skipped the last bit and the hike across the ridge to the top. My traffic driving skills have improved on the east coast, but unfortunately my 4-wheeling skills haven't. I lost my momentum going up a rocky hill and had to do the walk of shame to the top, while my oh so kind brother rode the 4-wheeler up. It was still absolutely beautiful. Rhone was smiles the whole way even though he was restrained in the backpack the whole time.

On the trail. The ridge in the middle is the peak. You can see clear into the Cache Valley from up there. If you look closely you can see the trail up ahead.

Safely tucked away on Papa's back

Aren't those farm fields a LONG way down?

The view from part way down the trail

The family shot for the trip

There was some serious dust on the trail. Check out my uni-brow.

Still all smiles after the ride. He was waving bye bye like he was ready to go again.



Picnic Trip

This beautiful little canyon is only a few miles from my parents house. I absolutely love that in a matter of minutes we can be in such a beautiful place. Rhone loved throwing rocks in the stream, snacking on fresh peas, and spotting cows and wildlife. It was one delightful lunch.


Rhone and his Pop pop.
Watch out for that rock, it's coming right at ya!


5 comments:

Christensen family said...

Looks like you had tons of fun. I love the dust picture.

Cassi @ Stop And Smell The Roses said...

I love this post!

I also love Washington, but I do miss the Idaho sunsets. They are so beautiful!

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful vacation... I love that your mom will get dirty with you too! :D Say hi to everyone for us! We miss you guys. :)

Rachel said...

I loved reading this post and seeing all the great pictures, it all looks like so much fun. I just got to Wyoming, and now I am extremely homesick for Idaho, and family! I miss you guys! I would give anything to be in Malad hanging with the Roses right now!! Love Ya!

Courtney said...

Idaho is so beautiful! Rhone is getting so big. Sounds like you had a great time!

Amanda said...

Gorgeous!!! And his little Carharrts are stinkin' adorable!