Wednesday, August 5, 2009

why not...

...get a piece of the stimulus package? How are we going to do this? We have a contract on a house. We weren't sure whether or not we would buy or live on base here, but the wait to get on base was just as long as getting into a house-so we thought with the $8,000 tax credit for first time home buyers this was a good time to take the plunge. With our budget in Delaware it was either a house in a development (NOT ideal) or an older house in an established neighborhood.

After a week of hard core house hunting we concluded that we were not willing to completely renovate a kitchen and deal with oil heating. That only left a development. We found a brand new home ready for quick delivery and it already has a lot of the landscaping done. It is a smaller lot, but the development is nice and we were able to get some nice upgrades for the house. We even got to pick out the tile and grout colors. Plus we know this house isn't going to be ours for forever so it's okay that we don't love everything. The closing date is on August 31. This means we still have another month in a hotel (we have already been in them for more than 2 weeks). Here's a few shots of the house for our family who has been asking about it. Hopefully everything works out well so we will finally have a place to call home (which we be great since we have been "in transition" since the end of January).





The lighting makes the house look light yellow, but it is actually white with dark, dark green shutters and door.

14 comments:

Ryan and GeAnna said...

Glad you found a house so quick, thats amazing! It looks like a nice house. Your are also lucky to get a first time tax buyer credit. That was not around when we bought our house, and we had a ton of renovations that had to be done within 2 months...so I dont blame you for not wanting to overhaul a kitchen, its hard work espcially in an older home.

Kristanne said...

Wow that is good deal for you guys. Hope all works out. Now we can come visit.

Erich said...

good call on the no renovation. congrats on the new place, what a classy looking home. can't wait to come visit!

Unknown said...

What a cute house. It will be nice for you guys to get settled. I'm sure it's hard to be in hotel with a baby who is quickly becoming mobile.

Cassi @ Stop And Smell The Roses said...

How exciting Meagan! That is so awesome! Keep us updated with photos when move-in day gets here! Congrats!

Chance and Beth said...

WOW! I am so excited for you! I love the house and the deck. What a fun place for your little man to call home!

Jeff and Lea said...

Oooh! I love it. It is so charming. Congrats. Hopefully all goes well and you can finally settle down. How have you been living in a hotel for so long?

Dave said...

That is exciting!! I saw a couple of Dover C-5's on the ramp in Spang this morning when we stopped through there and thought of you guys. One of them was even up on jacks :)

Dave said...

That is exciting!! I saw a couple of Dover C-5's on the ramp in Spang this morning when we stopped through there and thought of you guys. One of them was even up on jacks :)

The Greenacres said...

Hey Meag!

I know what you mean about the 8,000 dollar stimulus. Anyway that's a really cute house, and there are plenty of things to worry about besides redoing a kitchen. Anyway is there really a storm cellar? Hope you're more than just surviving. Talk to you soon.

Katie

Liz said...

It looks beautiful, Meagan!! Congratulations. I hope this last month goes by fast, so you can finally settle in!

Nicole Beeton said...

What a beautiful home! I'm so glad you were able to get in something quickly and it sounds like it's going smoothly. We're still on our hunt for a home and it's just been one thing after another!
Congratulations! I feel so dang bad that I wasn't able to come and see you while you were in Malad. I was hoping to come up for the 4th of July, but I had to work that night and couldn't get it off ( I hate having a job for that reason!). I miss you and hope I get to see you soon.

Angela said...

The house looks darling! How exciting! Good luck!

Darren and Stephanie said...

congratulations