Wednesday, July 29, 2009

8 states, 2 national parks, and 5 hotels...

...and we are still sane, but barely. Rhone and I flew into Mississippi on last Monday, the packers/movers came Tuesday and Wednesday we were on our way to Delaware. The trip was so quick, so I wasn't able to see very many people in MS, so sorry if we missed you. The road trip went well and we were able to do a little sight seeing along the way.

The first stop (well fun stop) was the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. It is the most visited National Park (over 9 million people visit each year). The Park was pretty, but the surrounding towns were so touristy, it was absolutely crazy.

At the top of Newfound Gap (too bad we have a new relative next to Ben and the Smokey Mountains is cut out of the picture)

Taking a break on the Appalachian Trail

Hiking the Appalachian Trail ( not all 2,175 miles ;)

I also requested that we see the Shenandoah National Park. So we detoured out of the way and spent the night at a little quaint and cheap motel right out side the park. I'm glad we did because the drive through the park was beautiful. The park was established right as the mainstream public was using the automobile, so the park is designed with around 75 overlooks as the road travels through the Blue Ridge Mountains. It was quiet, slow paced, and beautiful so hopefully we'll make it back there for some camping.

The Elkton Motel

One of the parks overlooks. The rock wall was built by CCC boys during the depression.

Big Meadow in the Shenandoah Park

I was shocked to see how many cars came to Shenandoah the first year it was open.

One of the deer we saw in the park.

We were also able to see Ben's sister and her family that is living in the Washington DC area. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures, but it will be fun to be closer to some family.

8 comments:

Jaime And Tyrell said...

Love the picture of you and Rhone on the trail really cute!!

Kristanne said...

Fun. I am glad your trip wasn't so whirlwind you couldn't enjoy a few side trips. Ben looks great - glad to see he is okay. Bet you are glad to be back together after his training. Did Rhone still know him? He is still as cute as ever. We miss you guys.

Chance and Beth said...

I'm so glad the family is united again! Yay! Moving is no fun, but looks like your mini vaca is! Congrats

Jeff and Lea said...

Wow, what a trip! Glad you are back with your hubby. You look so pretty in all your pics and Rhone is soooo smiley! Too cute. Good luck in this new adventure.

Angela said...

Sounds like you made the best of such a lonh trip. I'm so glad you guys are together again. I hope Ben is doing ok after survival. We'll have to plan a day after Dave gets back to get together!

ADRIENNE and JOSH said...

Wow! Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah! Great pics! So that's what John Denver was singing about...

Liz said...

What a fun trip. I love the Shenandoah mountains. To me, they're much prettier than the western monsters. You all look great, and happy to be together!!! Whatever you're feeding that baby, is working!! What a cute guy!

Erich said...

What crazy travels you two have been on. It is pretty cool to see the pictures of the places you've been, so different. Rhone is certinaly one well-traveled boy. Best of luck with the house hunting. Let us know what you decide.