Dover International Speedway hosts a NASCAR race twice a year. We have always avoided the chaos, but since this was our last chance we thought we should experience it here in Dover. We thought Rhone might really like it since he really enjoys the Disney "Cars" movies. Ben was able to get tickets for the whole family for free from the USO. Woot woot. On Friday night the base hosted a family NASCAR night. They had a bunch of activities set up, some actual race cars, live music, and some drivers to sign auto graphs. We stayed for a bit. Rhone waited in line twice to race these mini cars, and loved it. We got some cool little Lego pit crew guys that were purchased thanks to NASCAR fan donations.
We basically know nothing about NASCAR. Honestly I always thought it was a little redneck, but everyone was super nice and very generous and supportive of the military. I definitely have a different opinion now. I mean what other sport lets fans bring in their own cooler? On race day I was pretty nervous. I thought I we were crazy entering the masses with a pre-schooler and especially a baby (it was both of their 1st professional sporting event)! We parked closer than I thought, Sylvie slept, and Rhone was a trooper, the fans were not crazy or drunk, and once you put on your ear protection it was really rather peaceful. We last about 100 laps enough to see a 13 car pile up and enjoy the show. On the walk out we scored a ride on one of the little VIP golf carts. It was pretty awesome. NASCAR I miss judged you.
 |
| Ben by the #11 Fed- Ex Camry car |
 |
| Rhone's first time on a real rock wall. |
|
|
 |
| Yum! Cotton Candy |
 |
| Driving the mini race cars, too bad none of them are in the photo |
 |
| Sylvie came too :) |
 |
| We are by the real sprint cup trophy. |
 |
| NASCAR fans |
 |
| He was loving it and kept his ear muffs on so well. |
 |
| The cars and the fans |
 |
| Sweet little Sylvie's ear muffs are squeezing spit bubbles outta her mouth. |
0 comments:
Post a Comment